In this week’s episode of the Sailing to Success Podcast Show, Lyndsay Phillips interviews Bill Cox. Bill is a member of the John Maxwell team of coaches and is a certified speaker, trainer, and coach.
MAIN QUESTIONS ASKED:
- What do you mean by encouraging and inspiring great people?
- How does having a purpose impact someone’s business?
- What makes a good leader?
- Are some people born leaders?
KEY LESSONS LEARNED:
- 87% of people in the modern workforce are not reaching the potential.
- Everyone has a life they were meant to live.
- G – People who are Growing.
- R – People who are consciously Responsible.
- E – Engaged and Empathetic, people who are present and love what they do.
- A – Authentic, people who are real and honest.
- T – Teachable and Tenacious, people who learn and will not quit.
- You have to understand your potential internally in order to change yourself or achieve something.
- Why do we exist? Businesses are a collection of people helping other people.
- Our bodies are chemically engineered to be social.
- Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs culminates in Transcendance.
- You need to have a personal why as well as a business why.
- How do we behave? That will tell you what matters to the culture of a business. Do the behaviors align with the mission?
- What do we do?
- How will we succeed? What are your strategic anchors?
- What is most important now?
- Who must do what?
- Great leaders have a purpose beyond themselves.
- Leaders add value by serving others.
- A leader’s value is determined by those who follow them.
- An imbalance of values in an organization can have wide ranging impacts.
- Leaders help their team see things in themselves that they didn’t believe they had.
- Everyone has a different approach and strength towards leadership.
- Sometimes you can lead more effectively without a title than with a title.
- Leadership is a skill you can learn.
- ACT – Apply, Change, Teach
- Learn about those around you and who you work with, what makes them tick and how to support them. The very act of learning could change your relationship drastically.
- Start with your why and go from there.
- Know yourself, try the DISC test.
- Everyone can be a leader, you have to believe in yourself first.
Thank you for listening! If you enjoyed this podcast, please subscribe and leave a 5-star rating and review in iTunes!
LINKS TO RESOURCES MENTIONED: