Body Wisdom with Dr. Michelle Summers Colon
In this week’s episode of the Sailing to Success Podcast Show, Lyndsay Phillips interviews Dr. Michele Summers Colon. Dr. Michele is the author of Body Wisdom. She is also an entrepreneur, speaker and holistic podiatrist in Southern California.
MAIN QUESTIONS ASKED:
- How did you get into yoga and get started?
- How did you work those things into your practice?
- How did you come up with the term Body Wisdom?
- What is a health coach?
- How does stress affect your health?
KEY LESSONS LEARNED:
Yoga and Ayurveda
- Many people don’t even realize how inflexible they are until the first start yoga.
- Ayurveda is the sister science to yoga.
- The modern diet is a common source of digestive and intestinal issues.
- Being grounded and comfortable with your posture is a key part of yoga and meditation.
- Strong feet and ankles is important to having a stable base in any physical activity.
- The positive aspects of yoga can be almost as important as the physical benefits.
- The majority of people end up liking yoga once they try it. The environment tends to be more accepting than a typical gym.
- Your body gives you signals about what it needs, you need to listen to it.
- Traditional health care doesn’t always fix all the issues you may face. It’s focused on treating symptoms and less on holistic solutions.
- Health coaches customize an individual health plan for each client.
- Eat your dinner at least 4 hours before you go to sleep. Having food in your stomach during sleep will prevent you from recovering.
- Going to bed at 10pm and waking up at 6am is the optimal sleep cycle.
- Exercise in whatever way is the most enjoyable for you, at least 20 minutes a day.
- Stress can raise your blood pressure, give you insomnia, affects your cortisol, can give you adrenal fatigue.
- The biggest impact of stress is how much it can affect your sleep.
- Don’t leave your health in the hands of other people.
- Exercise, yoga or whatever you enjoy, at least 20 minutes per day.
- Give yoga a try, you’ll probably like it!
Thank you for listening! If you enjoyed this podcast, please subscribe and leave a 5-star rating and review in iTunes!