Holistic Content Marketing with Mike Allton
In this week’s episode of the Sailing to Success Podcast Show, Lyndsay Phillips interviews Mike Allton. Mike is the chief marketing officer at Site Sell and focuses on a holistic approach to content marketing. He is the author of several books including The Unofficial Book on HootSuite, The Ultimate Guide to the Perfect LinkedIn Profile, and Blog Promotionology.
MAIN QUESTIONS ASKED:
- What are the main benefits of blogging for your business?
- What does a successful blog look like?
- What is a content upgrade?
- What tools do you recommend to bloggers?
KEY LESSONS LEARNED:
- Blogging is more than writing, content can also be video, audio, or graphical.
- Creating content gives your reader a next step, it helps them go through a funnel where they get their questions answered.
- The creation of the content is important but if you don’t promote it, no one will consume it.
- Blogging is inbound marketing, as opposed to outbound.
- There are no rules when it comes to blogging. The structure and style of your content really depends on what your audience wants.
- The length of your content should be as long as it needs to be to answer the question.
- Break up your content with bullet points, headers, and graphics to make it easier to consume.
- You can’t make content that will make everyone happy, everyone has different preferences.
- Have some variety in the content you create, use multiple styles and different media and see what your audience responds to.
- Experiment with your blog content.
- You need to have the bloggers mindset, consider what you are listening to and consuming yourself and whether or not it would make sense in what you’re creating, either as a topic or as a technique.
- You need to spend more time promoting your content.
- Content upgrades are a file that your reader can download in exchange for their email address.
- A content upgrade is different from a normal lead magnet.
- They usually relate to the subject of the content.
- If someone downloads your content upgrade, they are self selecting and telling you exactly what they are interested in or what problems they have.
- You can’t have a successful blog without building your email list.
- Content upgrades are a way to segment your audience into different interests which you can then use to direct your marketing and funnel efforts.
- Tailwind for Pinterest, most content creators should be at least testing Pinterest. TailWind helps you build Pinterest boards and share relevant content.
- Evernote, a writing app that syncs between all your devices.
- SumoMe is a tool you can install that helps you build your email list.
- Triberr.com is a site you can use to increase the exposure of the content you create.
- Spend more time promoting your content on social media.
- Don’t forget to build your email list with a content upgrade strategy.
- Play with your blog, your style and content. Experiment and find out what your audience resonates with.
Thank you for listening! If you enjoyed this podcast, please subscribe and leave a 5-star rating and review in iTunes!